Friday, May 18, 2007

"ministry"

What truly is ministry? Sometimes I think that people, myself included, forget what ministry is, what it’s intended to be. They get so involved in “doing Ministry” that they lose their focus and ministry jsut becomes a sort of performance. Ministry itself becomes an end, when really it should be a means to a grater purpose.
I’m tired of simply “doing ministry.” I’m tired of apathy, legality, and conformity. I don’t want to build a ministry that simply fits a mold. Instead, I want to do ministry out of the overflow of my heart. I want to stop doing for it’s own sake. For ministry to be effective, we must reject a mold and adopt the heart of God. It is only through His power that we can do anything, without Him we can do nothing. We must stop simply going to church and focus on being the church.
It’s not always the easiest route. I don’t always understand the will of God, but that’s not really bad. In fact, I am thankful that I can’t always understand the extent of God’s amazing plan, because that’s the beauty of it. What I could think up on my own would be so much less than what God can do. So, I simply must run and strive to be a part of God’s heart work.
When ministry simply become something on a list of things that we do, then it’s easy to take it into our own hands, and then what’s the point of ministry? It seems that it would have no point because the most meaningful and greatest points in ministry occur when it is out of our control. Then we are only a vessel of God, a tool for Him to accomplish His amazing plans. I don’t want to do ministry, I want to live ministry, all for God’s glory.

2 comments:

Jake Sinko said...

Fantastic thoughts! Keep em coming...

andra said...

good stuff coming from my awesome SLA... and my blog is updated :)