Saturday, July 7, 2007

......

Sooo, sorry it's been a while since I updated...

First of all, thank you to all who have been praying for me and this ministry. It shows. God is doing amazing things. He is changing lives and turning hearts toward Him. He's working in my heart, and I am thankful for the opportunity He has given me to be His light.

Two weeks ago all of the counselor staff took a missions trip to Detroit. It was an awesome experience and God was faithful in doing His work. God taught me a lot and helped my to learn to rely on His strength all the more. We were able to work with a local church that was in need of some general upkeep and some fresh ministry. So, we cleaned the church, and advertised for, and ran a day camp for the kids in the community. We bonded a ton, and even went to a Tigers game on the side. We also had the opportunity to work with local organizations that work with the large Islamic population. We spent time with kids while their mothers learned English. A few of the nights we helped a group that came and toured different parks in the area with a concert, craft time, and carnival ministry. It was awesome to see God at work in this culture.

Last week I was able to work in the Primary camp, ages 6-8. This camp was full of kids ready for one of their first overnight camp experiences. It's so awesome to see them bond with each other, try new things, and understand God and salvation with such fresh understanding. During the first part of the week, my LIT and I had ten campers. Since they’re only there for two nights with one full day in between, it was difficult to connect with all of them, and at times, even remember their names. I caught myself getting discouraged and had to question what my purpose was for the brief time that I had with this set of girls. They were so young, and I began to wonder how much of an impact one day could make in their lives. It wasn't until we played water games during the second night that it truly his me. We competed in a relay that required the girls to hold an empty cup on their head, wait for the person behind them to dump in some water, and then pass it down the line. I watched their smiling faces and listened to their squeals as water dripped down their heir and all over their clothes. They weren't being forced to have fun getting water dumped all over them, they just did. Their counselors told them to do it, all of their friends were doing it, and they competed like their life depended on it. They are at an age when they are so impressionable. Camp gave them the opportunity to hear truth, see God's people having fun, and experience the love of Christ. That's what they will take to heart. My purpose was to authentically live for God in front of them, and along side of them, while sharing His truth. Then they could see what it truly means to follow Him.

My first cabin of girls last week was good and my second was great. My second cabin only had six girls and I got to work with a really sweet LIT named Spaz. Our girls bonded well in the short time we were here. They played hard and came to new understanding in there walk with Christ. God even chose to use me again to lead two of them to accept Him as their Savior for the first time. God is good and He is faithful.

God Has continued to work in my heart last week. He is challenging me to be completely real in every area of my life, so that my heart and thoughts and actions all align. Then I can serve Him without reservation, from the overflow of my heart.

I would greatly appreciate your continued prayers this week. My cabin is once again sweet so far, which is such a blessing. However, the extreme heat at night was really hard on them. Several of them felt really sick and it took them forever to get to the point when they could fall asleep. So pray that they will get some sleep this week so that they can have enough energy to thrive in their packed day. Pray also that God would soften their hearts and give me the words to speak to them. I'm feeling rather drained as well, spiritually, mentally, physically, and emotionally. So, I would appreciate your prayer for me this week more than you know. Pray that I can maintain energy. Pray that I can create unity in my cabin, among the girls in my cabin and between my LIT and I. Finally, Pray that God would give me His peace and His presence and fill me with Himself so that I can serve Him well.

No comments: